Re: Transformers

Common Folks, this issue arose with a HS student in a HS Physics
class. For the teacher to imply/state in class that a "transformer"
converts AC to DC is inexcusable. For that teacher to imply/state that
there are no AC motors is inexcusable.

If the original poster will give me the s-mail or e-mail address of the
teacher in question, I will make this view clear to him/her.

Others may wish to join in.

Jim Green

At 14:06 30 11 2000 , you wrote:
> >On the other hand, your teacher might have been correct. Don't some
> >transformers, such as those that operate toy trains, convert 120 Vac into
> >a low voltage dc that is connected to the tracks and accessories ?

In Electronics, "transformer" is two or more inductors which have high
coupling. Or call it a closed magnetic circuit which is connected to at
least two electric circuits. To create a DC output, you'd need some sort
of nonlinear devices (diode, or gas rectifier tube, or synchronous
mechanical switch.)

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen