Re: dimensionless units & Mach Number

Most of my students are not familiar with the idea of a Mach number.
I still use examples like this because it helps some of the students
but I must constantly remind myself that I need to do more to "reach"
others. Like Dr. Rauber, when I was in high school most everyone had a
common base experience that teachers could use as examples. I find
that today very few students have this common base - many have never
opened the hood of a car much less worked on one, many do not play
sports so they do not have a "feeling" for related projectile motion,
etc. This means that I must spend class time giving them a common
experience with an activity - a "lab". Even then I must often point
out observations that I think are obvious but they think are very
subtle.

Students have a definitely different experience background today
compared years ago. When I first started teaching, boys could easily
string pulleys systems and girls could not - now today neither group
can string them without a lot of guidance. Does that mean I should
change?

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur