Re: dimensionless units & Mach Number

Most of my students are not familiar with the idea of a Mach number. I
still use examples like this because it helps some of the students but I
must constantly remind myself that I need to do more to "reach" others.
Like Dr. Rauber, when I was in high school most everyone had a common
base experience that teachers could use as examples. I find that today
very few students have this common base - many have never opened the
hood of a car much less worked on one, many do not play sports so they
do not have a "feeling" for related projectile motion, etc. This means
that I must spend class time giving them a common experience with an
activity - a "lab". Even then I must often point out observations that
I think are obvious but they think are very subtle.

Joel Rauber wrote:

My suggestion (never tried by me) was predicated on the idea that Mach
number might be less obscure than radians to students. Perhaps it is
showing my age by thinking that! When I was a kid (60's and early 70's)
most of the kids in middle school (at least the boys) had a real good idea
of Mach number. I suspect my older siblings who were young in the 50's also
had a good idea.

Some of you high school teachers on Phys-L, what is your impression of the
state of awareness of Mach number in your students?

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere