Re: The "typical" high school physics teacher

Michael Edmiston told the following story:

My
unqualified high school physics teacher kicked me out of class one day
because I argued with him about transformers. He said they converted AC to
DC. When he wouldn't budge I eventually told him he didn't know what he was
talking about. This was just one of many examples of absolutely wrong
physics that he tried to teach us. He was a coach. He was very popular
with most students. He wasn't popular because he was good, he was popular
because of his personality. His personality and way with people allowed him
to gloss over gross incompetence that would fell a person with less charm.
He probably went through his whole life this way.

This sounds like a classic case of bungled communication. Granted, he
wasn't qualified, or he would have realized that when he thought
transformer he visualized those little power adapters that come with
all sorts of appliances that run on either batteries or house
current. They, of course, are transformers but with a rectifier stuck
on the output end of them. So to the uninitiated, they are a
transformer (reduced the line voltage from 120 to 6 or 9) and they
convert AC to DC, just like he said.

But an experiment could have cleared up the confusion. Did you try
suggesting that?

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell