Re: dimensionless units

Herb Schulz says:

"The problem with never using radian or degree
or rotation .... is that the number then has no meaning: 2 1/s could mean 2
rotations/s,
2 degrees/s or 2 radians/s which are very different."

My response to this is I don't report a number without giving it a name. I
would say the following statements:

The angular velocity is 6.28 1/s.
The frequency is 1.00 1/s.

We have to do this with other things. For example, if I just say this comes
out to 123 newton.meters what am I talking about? Energy? Maybe... but
maybe I'm talking about torque. If I am talking energy, is it kinetic,
spring, etc.?

In other words, if a number and its units could imply various meanings, I
would rather discern the meaning from a direct statement of what the number
represents. I don't think we should have to attempt to figure out what the
number means by looking at its units.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817