Re: RADIANS

Hi all-
This wording is unfortunate because it does not distinguish
between degrees and radians. Each is a fraction of a rotation (as is a
"grad"), and each can be expressed in terms of the ratio of arc length
to radius. One obtains Kilmer's (correct) conversion factor by observing
that a degree is 1/360'th of a circle while a radian is 1/(2\pi)'th of a
circle (I use TeX notation). The 1/(2\pi) is obtained by observing that
it is the ratio of the arc length of a circle to the length of the radius.
I discuss some implications of the effect of choice of units on
derivatives of trig functions in chapters 7 and 8 of the calculus text
that I am writing. See math.GM/0010065 in the Los Alamos preprint
archives for a discussion.
Regards,
Jack