Re: The "typical" high school physics teacher

Hi Joe-
For Illinois, the answer is not simple. The requirements are set
by the the state Board of Education according to guidelines set out in
the Illinois Administrative Regulations. (Illinois has an Administrative
Procedures Act that is modeled on the corresponding Federal Act). The
actual practice may vary from the formal requirements because no
local superintendent of schools is going to let a teaching position go
unfilled. It follows that physics teaching is a good job for a valued
athletic coach.
I have one friend who was hired as a public high school physics
teacher after obtaining a biology degree from the U. of Illinois. My
understanding is that she had no college physics courses.
You would have to do a school-by-school survey to determine the
actual practice.
Regards,
Jack