Re: Long Prisms for homemade spectrometer

--snipped from John Denker's reply--
I'm working on making a lab for students to determine the albedo of the
moon
by comparing spectra of the sun and moon.

I don't understand the point. The usual definition of albedo
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=albedo
doesn't have any connection with the shape of the spectrum.

Ah, I misspoke. I'd like to take a slice of the spectrum (say, a bit of
yellow), and compare the intensity levels directly from the sun and
reflected off the moon as part of the lab. I suppose I could do this
directly on the white light version, but wouldn't that be more prone to
burning out the meters?

hence the need for a long prism.

I don't see the connection. I don't see any necessary connection between
the size of the prism and the size of the image.

And now it's the test of ASCII-sketches.

{ }
{Prism} "Direct" path to show target image for aiming at the sun
{ }
{ } :
{ } : Grating
{ } Refracted Spectrum :
{Long } -----
{ } -----
{Prism} -----
{ } -----
{ } -----
{ } -----
{ } -----
{ } -----
{ } -----
{ } -----

To keep everything compact, I'd put the sheet of paper for the students to
mark a few inches below the long prism on the left (at a level underneath
the ASCII-rendition). That way, I can mount the whole thing on a camera
tripod, with a clipboard or somesuch for the students to support their sheet
of paper, and off they go.

You have to have a long prism (or mirror) to put the "bend" near the end of
the path. There's probably no "good" reason for a prism over a mirror, I
just like prisms.

Now, there will be a bit of correction need for the scaling as I understand
it, since we have different lengths due to the positioning of the prism, but
that shouldn't be too bad to figure out.

I may still need some focusing optics should the light be too dim, but I
don't think that'll be too bad a problem.

Gordon P. Smith
Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
(804) 223-6177