Re: Long Prisms for homemade spectrometer

At 05:24 PM 11/16/00 -0500, Gordon Smith wrote:
I'm working on making a lab for students to determine the albedo of the moon
by comparing spectra of the sun and moon.

I don't understand the point. The usual definition of albedo
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=albedo
doesn't have any connection with the shape of the spectrum.

As a secondary goal, I have this thought that the spectra off a reflecting
body should be a bit different than a straight-shot spectra. Is there any
truth to this??

I should think so, assuming it's a colored reflecting body.

I thought I could get clear of the "you'll burn your eyes out!" arguments by
simply projecting the spectra onto a sheet of paper for the students to
marks where the absorption lines were,

OK, there are several good reasons for projecting when you can....

hence the need for a long prism.

I don't see the connection. I don't see any necessary connection between
the size of the prism and the size of the image.

Hint:
-- converging lens serving as condenser if needed, especially for moon
-- slit
-- prism
-- lens serving to spread out the image