Re: Temperature Scales

Is there any truth to the anecdote that Fahrenheit used his wife's bath water as 100°? According to
one of my old teachers he adjusted the temperature of the water by adding hot and cold water to the
bath until she could not sense if the water was hot or cold. This does not sound logical but it was
told to me by my college professor and they are always right - right?

Additional note: The same "technique" is used in the Swiss Family Robinson where the father puts his
hand in a pool of water and announces that it is 98.2° F because it doesn't feel either hot or cold.

Ray Rogoway