Re: History of Science

At 12:57 PM 11/7/00 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
1) Can somebody suggest a good available textbook for not
very sophisticated students? Include the ISBN, if possible.

I can't help there. Sorry. See below for possibly constructive suggestions.

2) Also a textbook which can help me to develop the course.
The content of the course would be very much up to me.

Suggestions:
a) The Encyclopedia Britannica has a fairly nice ten-page article on
"SCIENCE, The History of".
b) Anybody who is even remotely interested in the history of science
should read
Richard S. Westfall
_Never at Rest, a biography of Isaac Newton_

This is an awesome book. Westfall spent 20 years working on it.

The book doesn't just cover Newton; by putting his work in context, it
winds up giving a sweeping picture of math, science, and life in general at
the time of the Scientific Revolution.