Re: photoelectric effect (clarifiations)

Yes. We have them in the basement of our library.
Here is some insight into opinions of the times. Millikan and
Winchester write, with no mention whatsoever of Einstein:
Relying chiefly upon the experiments of Elster & Geitel and
Zeleny, J.J. Thomson concludes that "the phote-electric effects
of metals are greater at a high temperature than at a low one".
He mentions, but does not record, some results of his own on the
alkali metals which are in accord with this conclusion. He
inclines to the view that the cause of this phenomenon is to be
found in the absorption by the free electrons of the metal of
the energy to enable them to escape. This view follows naturally
from the fundamental assumption of the electron theory of
conduction as eleaborated by Riecke, Drude, and J.J. Thomson, and
applied with so much success to the explanation of the relation
between the thermal and elecrical conduction of metals. For
according to this assumption, there exist at all times within
conductors free or "metallic" corpuscles, which, in accordance
with the Maxwell-Boltzmann law, possess a kinetic energy of
agitation...
Phil. Mag. XIV, 188 (1907) (I have omitted footnotes).

So, yes, it appears that I gave too much credit to Einstein; the
papers cited all date to 1901 and earlier.

Regards,
Jack