Re: photelectricity, history, and PAC Learning

At 11:38 AM 11/9/00 -0600, Jack Uretsky wrote in part:
My point: I think it useful (and fun) to see how our predecessors
stumbled and fumbled. And I can feel rewarded if, on occasion, I can see
my colleagues repeating ancient patterns.

... and there was some question as to whether I was saying the opposite.

Answer: In general I agree with what Jack was saying. But in some cases I
also agree with the near-opposite. It depends on context.

1a) In general, it's nice to know everything there is to know about
electromagnetic physics and technology.
1b) OTOH, if a child asks what makes the hall lights come on, it may be
more appropriate to say "there's a switch just around the corner" rather
than giving the full electromagnetic explanation.

2a) In general, it is nice to know and understand the history of science
-- the real history, not the bogus story that is told in typical science
books.
2b) OTOH, if a student asks a narrow question about "how do we know X"
then it may be inappropriate to explore every pothole and blind alley along
the historical road to X.

3a) Tangential thinking is a hallmark of scientific creativity.
3b) It's also a hallmark of schizophrenia.