From: John Denker [SMTP:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 8:38 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Bernoulli's relationship

At 05:34 PM 11/8/00 -0800, Leigh Palmer wrote:

[Argument I haven't read which leads to contrary result, followed by:]

It would be more polite to read what I wrote before contradicting me.

Remarks: The foregoing answer is the obvious answer, and the only
answer
consistent with relativity and symmetry and other basic principles.

It sure ain't obvious to me!

It remains obvious to me. The last time I went flying, altimeters (which
essentially measure static pressure) were known to indicate the same value
regardless of airspeed. This is important: when somebody asks Tower for
permission to overfly the field at 1500 feet, Tower would like some
assurance that that represents 1500 real feet, not something that is off
by
hundreds of feet depending on airspeed.

The situation Professor Cohen asked about is a thinly disguised variation
of the same physics.

I think you forgot about continuity, John.

I didn't.

You've got water accelerating in a trough under the influence of
viscosity,

I indicated the pattern of pressure, taking viscosity into account. I
didn't mention velocity at all, because it didn't matter. If you want to
worry about velocity, you will find a velocity pattern that is consistent
with this pressure pattern. And with continuity.

and then slowing down as it goes through a propeller.

I idealized the propeller as a pump. It increases the pressure in just
the
way I indicated. My idealization removes all kinds of complicated jets
and
countercurrents. I don't think anybody on this list wants to see the
non-idealized version.

High velocity at pump inlet and low velocity at pump outlet is not at all
unusual.