Re: History of Science

John Denker wrote [in another thread]:

-- When teaching science, we typically follow the shortest path from the
root to the current growing tip.
-- When teaching the history of science, if we have any semblance of
honesty, we must discuss the dead side-branches. This makes the history of
science a MORE COMPLICATED and MORE CONFUSING subject than
plain old science. This leads to the ironic situation where lazy students
think
they will have an easier time if they sign up for "history of science"
rather
than "real science".

In my opinion elements of history of science for science majors
should be presented in the context of science courses, such as
mechanics, thermodynamics, e&m, genetics, organic chemistry,
or astronomy. A course for non-science majors should not ignore
their limitations. It should be a cultural "science appreciation"
course with a mixture of real science and real history. Serious
History of Science topics can not be developed with very limited
preparations.
Ludwik Kowalski