Re: Misconceptions assessments?

What is meant by science myths? Is that the same as common
misconceptions? I believe the National Indicators of Science and
Engineering routinely evaluate this but I'm not sure about that.

FWIW, I include some questions that I use to reveal common misconceptions
among my pre-service secondary science teachers. I think part of the list
was obtained from Indicators (some others I got from the Private Universe
tapes).

For each statement, indicate whether it is True or False.

Any study of past events such as the origin of life and the universe, is
not good science because these events are not repeatable and consequently
any theories cannot be verified.

Scientific law is considered to be more important than scientific theory.

Scientific law is a scientific theory that has been proven correct.

Lasers work by focusing sound waves.

The earliest humans lived at the same time as dinosaurs.

Radioactivity is man-made.

For each question, choose the best answer.

A ball is thrown up in the air. It goes up and then eventually comes
down again. On its way up (after being let go), which is correct?
A. its acceleration decreases
B. its acceleration increases
C. its acceleration stays pretty much the same

Does the distance between the earth and sun stay the same all year
through?
A. Yes, within 1% or so.
B. No, the sun is much closer during the summer
C. No, the sun is much closer during the winter.
D. No, the sun is much closer during some other season.
E. No, the sun is much closer during various times during the year.

What is the main reason for it being colder in winter than in summer?
A. The earth is farther away from the sun in winter than in summer.
B. The hemisphere is farther away from the sun in winter than in summer.
C. The sunlight needs to go through more atmosphere in the winter.
D. The sunlight is spread over a greater area in winter.
E. More sunlight reflects off the earth in winter.
F. Other ________________________

If we could remove all of the water from a log, which one of the
following elements would make up most of the remaining mass?
A. Oxygen
B. Hydrogen
C. Nitrogen
D. Carbon
E. Other ____________________

From where did that element come?
A. Air that was taken in during photosynthesis
B. Air that was taken in during respiration
C. Water that fell on its leaves
D. Water that was drawn up through its roots
E. Minerals that were drawn up through its roots
F. Sunlight that was taken in during photosynthesis
G. Other _______________________

When plants undergo respiration, they
A. take in more Carbon Dioxide than they give off and give off more
Oxygen than they take in.
B. take in more Oxygen than they give off and give off more Carbon
Dioxide than they take in.
C. Other _______________________

Consider an atom of hydrogen in the atmosphere. What occupies the
space between the inidividual electrons, protons and neutrons that make up
the hydrogen atom?
A. Pollution or other particulate matter.
B. Other atoms.
C. Air.
D. Nothing.

Answers: F F F F F F C A D D A B D ?