Intro Physics Sequence

In our department we are tossing around the idea of revamping our intro
sequence and I thought I'd see what all you "experts" out there thought -
perhaps some of you already have the proposed plan. (We're a 5000 student,
5 faculty midwestern state university, graduating ~4/yr in physics and
transferring ~6/yr in 3/2 or 2/2 pre-engineering.)

Currently we have a fairly traditional Phys I/II freshman year concurrent
with Calc I/II. The second year we cover modern physics in a semester and
then move on to the upper level electives.

The alternative is to delay Phys I until spring semester. Instead, we
would have a 2-3 hr course on the "Great Ideas of Physics" using something
like Alan Lightman's book. This would be supplemented by a 1-2 hr "Intro
to Engineering" course (already on the books).

Perceived Advantages:
*improved calculus skill when entering physics class
* building a conceptual framework for later courses.
* broading the intro to engineering course (currently pushed only toward
define pre-engineers and taught in the evening)
* students outside physics could take the "Great Ideas" course, where they
would never take Phys I

Perceived Problems:
* Tougher to complete 2/2 transfer requirements in just two years.
* Upper level electives more bunched at the end
* What to drop to keep the total hours about the same
* faculty time to redo the schedule/shuffle paper/ etc.

Comments? Suggestions? Improvements?

Tim Folkerts
Fort Hays State University
Hays, KS