Re: Centrifuge (was: Just So Stories)

John Denker wrote:

Recommendation: Be modest and honest.

Yes, we should be modest and honest.

"small particles settle more slowly because of thermal
zig-zagging".

This is not a quotation from what I wrote. In the last message
I agreed with you that zig-zagging is not an explanation. It is
part of a qualitative model which can be used to understand
settling of mud particles in a stationary container. A smaller
particle subjected to Brownian kicks (during its fall) will
usually need more time to reach the bottom than a larger
particle for which kicks are relatively less important.
Thermal kicks have practically no effect on particles whose
masses exceed a certain limit, such as one gram.

What is wrong with this? What kind of misconception I am
going to implant by using this simple model. This is not my
model; I do not remember where I saw it for the first time.

Don't pollute your brain with false explanations. Don't
pollute your students' brains.

Where am I polluting?

Meanwhile, taking a higher-level view, what is the goal?
I thought it was to give students some exercise using the
centrifugal field formula.

The goal was to explain what happens in the centrifuge in
terms of what students already learned in seven chapters.
Explaining what happens in a stationary situation was
the first step. The next step was to introduce artificial gravity
which plays the essential role in rapid precipitation. The
model predicts (qualitatively) that precipitation is faster
when the angular velocity is larger. I hope that somebody
can go one step further and compose a qualitative problem
based on what happens in the centrifuge. Is this possible?
Is this desirable? Is it worth trying?

Good authors check their work!

Yes. And I sorry for some typing errors I noticed today.
So let me read this message again before sending it this
time. I did and I do not see anything wrong. But this is
a subjective opinion. I think that even good authors are
often blind to what is wrong in their compositions.
Ludwik Kowalski