Re: Just So Stories

Trying to be polite, I wrote an understatement:
> thermal zig-zagging is not "the" explanation.

At 04:19 PM 11/3/00 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

How do we decide what is and what is not an explanation?

By whether it makes correct predictions!!!!!!!!!!!

Since polite understatement didn't communicate the point, here it is with
kid-gloves removed:

-- The zig-zag theory predicts the wrong dependence on temperature.
-- The zig-zag theory predicts the wrong dependence on viscosity.
-- The zig-zag theory predicts the wrong dependence on particle size.
-- The zig-zag theory predicts the wrong dependence on particle mass.

-- It succeeds only in postdicting one bit, namely that small particles
qualitatively settle out faster.

Therefore, although it purports to be a scientific explanation, it is not
anything of the sort. Rather, it is what we call a "Just So Story".
*) How the small particles settle slowly.
*) How the camel got his hump.
*) How the leopard got his spots.
*) et cetera; see
http://www2.shore.net/~mogget/justso.htm