Re: Color constancy

Despite being terribly nearsighted, I have
particularly good night vision. An optometrist (not
an opthamologist) once told me that this has nothing
to do with the shape of my lense (the nearsightedness
problem), but could mean that I just have more rod
cells, particularly on my fovea, than the average
person. This seems to indicate that some people in
the field think that retinal structure, if not
chemistry, varies from person to person. Similar
variance in the relative number of R, G, and B cones
could change an individual's perception of color. In
any large population, I would expect the distribution
of these variances to be standard. How much "everyone
is the same, at least on average" would then depend
only on the standard deviation. I have no idea what
this value is, but a little research might lead to an
empirical answer to the question at hand.

Zach Wolff

Herb, are you pulling my chain? I said _retinal_
chemistry. Are you
saying that the _process_ of seeing works
differently for different people
(not counting color-blind)? Do we have different
retinal dyes? Do we
store images in our brains or perceive things
through different mechanisms?
Are you agreeing with Ludwik proposed supposition
"the chemistry in your
retina is dramatically different from the chemistry
in my retina"?

As I ask in 1) above, is there any evidence that
retinal chemistry varies
from person to person?

thanks,
Larry