Re: Color constancy

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:12:49 -0700 Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU>
writes:

Suppose the chemistry in your retina is dramatically different
from the chemistry in my retina, when we are looking at grass.
This would not prevent us from using the same word, green,
while referring to sensations.

This is certainly true, but 1) is there any evidence that anybody
(other than color-blind people) has different retinal chemistry than
anybody else?, and 2) I explicitly assumed that most people have the
same
chemistry; given that assumption why would the perception be
different for different people?

But people do not have the same chemistry. Some people tan easier than
others.
Some are more verbal; some are naturally thinner or fatter; some learn
and talk
faster; some like foods that others can't or won't tolerate; some are
more considerate
than others; some tolerate pair more than others etc etc etc etc

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where no two people seem to have the same chemistry)