Re: Color

This thread could get rather lengthy if we start comparing color wheels, art
versus science, primary colors, etc. Those are interesting things, but they
do not specifically answer the question. Let's try the following
explanation:

Not all the light waves coming to our eyes from a particular object have the
same wavelength. Some light waves are shorter wavelength, some longer, some
intermediate. Also, the light waves coming from a second object don't
generally have the same wavelengths as the first object. The important
thing is each object sends a particular blend of light wavelengths to our
eyes.

In our eyes we have sensors that detect the light. Not all the light
sensors are the same. Some of the sensors detect just the shorter
wavelengths. Some sensors detect just the longer wavelengths. Some sensors
detect the middle wavelengths.

This means when different objects send their specific blends of light
wavelengths to our eyes, our eyes and brain can notice the objects are
different because we have the ability to sense the two objects are sending
different blends of wavelengths to our eyes.

Objects can also appear different if one is larger than the other. When our
eyes detect larger/smaller we say the objects differ in "size." Objects can
also appear different if one object is cubical and the other is spherical.
When our eyes detect cubical/spherical/etc. we say the objects differ in
"shape." When our eyes detect the objects differ in the light wavelengths
being sent to our eyes we say the objects differ in "color."

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817