Subject: Re: generalized elephants
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:08:19 -0500
From: John Denker <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>

At 11:25 PM 10/29/00 -0600, Glenn A. Carlson wrote:

We all know what an elephant is, but if I started talking about a
"generalized elephant," I would expect someone to ask (with more or
less diplomacy) what concept or principle of an elephant I am
generalizing. Replying "It won't do to claim that the elephant can't
be generalized" is not responsive. Replying that anteaters and jack
rabbits are examples of generalized elephants is only somewhat
responsive since it begs the question which concept or principle is
being derived from the particulars of elephants, anteaters, and jack
rabbits.

1) If a student were to ask me about "generalized elephants" (without
additional context) I would mention mastodons and woolly mammoths, and
would recommend the Encyclopedia Britannica which has a multi-hundred-word
article on "proboscidean".

2a) If anybody really thinks that anteaters and jackrabbits exemplify a
more-suitable generalization, please explain.

2b) If OTOH this is meant to illustrate the general point that no matter
what you are doing, you can always do it wrong... then I completely
agree! When a student asks a question, if you try hard enough to
misunderstand, you can misunderstand.