Re: Photograph

At 04:33 10/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
I don't know about that image, but Cutnell and Johnson has some fantastic
images (although I have other gripes about the text) including a good one
showing a cargo plane (FedEx if I recall correctly) that was loaded too far
to the back. The resulting torque caused the plane to tip up on it's tail.
It HAD to be an expensive mistake.

John

Off topic again, but....
....this reminds me that for some years I tied down a light plane
outside in winter. The tie-down securing rings were at the wing strut
attachments fixed to the main wing spar, placed typically at 25% wing
chord.
It being necessary for safe flight, the CofG was a little forward of
this station which is the vicinity of the center of lift, and the
main wheels (on this tricycle design) were a little aft.

If it snowed several inches (which from time to time happened
even in in Texas), the tail would dip under the unaccustomed weight,
until it rested on the ground snow. In this case the dip was
uneventful.

Some large cargo planes are fitted with jury struts while loading
is in progress to avoid such curtseys.
Some large modern passenger planes are fitted with loading indicators
which may sense gear leg compression.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!