Re: Sic transit

Now you're talking!
Was this an on line library cat search?
Or even better, a full text source?

What was the secret?

Brian

At 15:09 10/21/00 -0700, you wrote:
A not so quick search:

L. R. Wilberforce, On the Vibrations of a Loaded Spiral Spring, The Fifth
Series, Philosophical Magazine Vol. 38, 386-392, (1894).

bc

brian whatcott wrote:

At 09:38 10/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
I just opened my new Physics Teacher (remember, I live in Canada). I
am outraged by an ad I see in there which should have been rejected
by the editor. It names what is clearly a Wilberforce pendulum as a
"Jochen's Spring pendulum". I don't know who Jochen is (and if this
is an error on my part I eagerly wish to be corrected), but this is
a gross posthumous usurpation of intellectual property if I am right.

Leigh

(I could be wrong - I just learned this morning that Leni Riefenstahl
is alive and well at age 98.)

I cast around for details - but without much success.
If the reference is to Jochen Bestgen's Physics demos using
Mathematica,
<http://www.j-bestgen.de/>
I am unable to work up much animus on Wilberforce's
behalf. On the other hand, I'm surprised I didn't find more
biography in print on the Wilberforce in question - not Soapy Sam
I don't suppose?
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!