Re: What Does TIMSS Teach Us? (dependent learners?)

On 10/18/00 10:37 AM, Joel Rauber wrote:
In simple words, we are getting more and more DEPENDENT learners. I fear
that many of the 'new' pedagogical techniques being pushed just buy into
that. We are structuring their study and learning so much, that I'm worried
that they won't have really 'learned how to learn' and will remain
dependent--to their detriment.

If you're looking for pedagogical techniques that produce INDEPENDENT
learners, learn Modeling Instruction. Consider these quotes:

STUDENTS' WRITTEN COMMENTS:

Art Woodruff has been using the modeling method in Florida since 1991. One