Re: Cause and Effect

Joe wrote:

jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU 10/20/00 07:17AM >>>
<snip>

By the way, my favorite version of N1 is "objects move with constant
velocity unless then don't"

cheers,

joe

Sometimes what sounds like a "Duh!" kind of statement can give people an "Aha!" experience. An example of this is an explanation I remember from an undergrad biology course I had many years ago. The class was having a difficult time understanding diffusion, and how matter moves "from regions of higher concentration to regions of lower concentration." I'm sure many of us have used similarly complex explanations of things, which go right over the students' heads. Anyway, a brave soul in the class timidly asked the prof for help in understanding why diffusion goes the way it does. The response was classic: "Things go from where they are to where they ain't." Everyone understood.

Would that all our explanations could be that memorable, and that succinct. Have a good day.

Rondo Jeffery
Weber State University
Ogden, UT