Re: squash ball question

At 22:13 10/18/00 +0200, Mark Sylvester wrote:
I have a student doing a project on squash balls: these are rather soft
rubber balls which don't bounce very well, but get more and more elastic as
their temperature is raised through being slammed around the court.

He's measuring the coefft of restitution at different temperatures, and
getting something like a linear graph. The problem is to produce an
explanation. He needs to be pointed in a fruitful direction, but I find
myself stuck. It seems clear that it's the air inside the ball that causes
this behaviour, rather than the rubber, but how to relate this to the
dissipation that occurs during a bounce...?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Mark

I am not the first to mention it, but the change in properties of
any enclosed air with temperature can be expected to be roughly
proportionate to absolute temperature:
taking 20C and 100C the change is 373/293 = 127%

The change in restitution of the rubber material
can be 71/45, 47/37, 63/33, 67/35, 50/9 for a similar temperature
range, depending on the material in question
(natural rubber, butadiene-styrene copol.,butadiene acrylonitrile
copol., neoprene, butyl respectively according to the rubber
company: apt eh?)
These ratios amount to 158%, 127%, 191%, 191%, 555%

Hence, except for a butadiene-styrene copolymer ball, the rubber
is likely to contribute the major temperature dependence.

Or as Professor Feynman pointed out in dramatizing the problem of
making a rocket case in pieces for shipment from a remote, but
senatorially sponsored state, pork-barrel-wise: a cold rubber
seal may not flex the way you'd want it to flex.

Or with twenty twenty vision over the shoulder: "My kingdom for
a miserable imbedded heater wire."

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!