Re: historical astronomy question

According to the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Astronomy I have, there was a
transit of Venus on Dec. 4, 1639. That was about three years before
Galileo died, so there is the possibility for him to have seen it.

And it was visible (first and second contacts, at least) in Florence at
4:00 pm. I doubt Galileo saw it. It would have been noted by Stillman
Drake.

My copy of the Cambridge Encyclopedia does not list a second transit 8
years before or after the one in 1639, but does list other pairs in
1761/1769 and 1874/1882. Does any one have better information, or know
for sure if Galileo saw a transit?

The 1639 transit was quite nearly central, and the usual two transit
pattern was broken.

By the way, the next transits of Venus are listed in the Cambridge
Encyclopedia as being on June 7, 2004, and June 5, 2012. On the other
hand, my old copy of Baker's Astronomy (1959, 7th ed.) lists them as
coming on June 8, 2004 and June 6, 2012. Any one know which is correct?

The June 7 date is good only for the far western Pacific. June 8 is
better for Asia & points east.

Leigh