Re: What Does TIMSS Teach Us? (Short)

This is a problem for my students, they don't know how to deal with
the "struggle" and frustration required to do well with Physics and
Physics problems. Their response to the least little bit of
frustration tends to be a "give up" response. I don't recall this
attitude amongst the better half of my peer group as a student; we
tended to have more of a "damn it, I can figure this stuff out"
attitude. What are other folks perceptions regarding this?

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu

We just had a AAPT section meeting and this was a large part of the
discussion. Thet get a bad grade on the first test - they sprint to
drop the course. I think it has to do with that mythical power of a
high GPA.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur