Re: CAUSATION IN PHYSICS

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, John Denker wrote:

0) To avoid misunderstanding and/or nitpicking: Let specify that I
interpret Leigh's statement to mean
Forces cause accelerations, and
not vice versa.

See item (2) for more on this.

[snip]

==============
2) The clarification in item (0) is important, because if somebody (e.g
Robert A Cohen, 07:26 AM 10/15/00 -0400) takes the position that

2a) forces cause accelerations, and by the same token
accelerations cause forces also...

that's OK. It's a slight stretch of the definition of causation, but I
don't have a problem with that. I have a slight preference for saying

2b) force is proportional to (not the cause of) acceleration, and
acceleration is proportional to (not the cause of) force

but the difference between version (2a) and version (2b) is too subtle for
the average student.

Just for the record, I'd like to point out that I do not take the position
described by John in (2a). I prefer (2b). I'm not sure what I wrote in
my post that implied (2a). All I wrote was that I agree that, for a cart
running into a car, one could write that the net force exerted on the car
is equal to the mass of the cart (not car) times the deceleration of the
cart (not car). However, I don't think this is the proper way of
interpreting Newton's 2nd law. I think it has the potential to confuse
students.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |