Re: key concepts in physics ???

At 9:20 AM -0700 10/16/00, Leigh Palmer, you wrote about Re: key
concepts in physics ???:

> 2. The second law of thermodynamics: Heat exchanges
>necessarily require an unrecoverable loss of energy. No heat engine
>can be built with 100% efficiency; this is a fundamental law of
>physics, not a limitation of human ingenuity.

While this is, indeed, a favorite of mine, I don't believe that the
second law can be made comprehensible to the students whom you are
trying to reach in any greater depth than the statement of the
factoid above. That would not do the second law justice in my view.
It is far more important than that. The students should have a
broad survey course before being introduced to the second law. One
cannot recognize a true gem if one has not first become familiar
with baser stones.

Leigh

And *I* must continue to (respectfully) disagree with Leigh on this.
I think that people SHOULD 'get to see' the Hope Diamond and other
such gems as often as possible and at as early an age as possible. A
cat IS allowed to look at the queen! (for those in the UK).

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936