Re: pushing vs. pulling

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, John Denker wrote

At 03:44 PM 10/14/00 -0700, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

So what distinguishes a push from a pull? ...is it that
"pushes cause compression" and "pulls cause tension"? ...
Fortunately, it is seldom if ever a useful distinction anyway.

I disagree.

and then went on to explain in unobjectionable terms why it is
often not just useful but essential to distinguish between
compression and tension. I suppose I should have tried to make it
clearer that I was referring to the distinction between pushes and
pulls.