Re: Clausius

This is essentially the same question that he asked 1.5 years ago:

True enough, John, but I have yet to receive a definitive answer to the
issue of how the name "Clausius" came about. But John wants an explanation:

And the answer I gave then still applies. If the following citations do
not suffice, please explain.

Clausius's father was named Carl E. Gottlieb [ref 2].

It is not at all clear what his father's name was at the time of RJE's
birth and hence what RJE's birth name was.

Clausius himself was called Rudolf Julius Emmanuel Clausius. No evidence
has yet been adduced suggesting he ever called himself anything else.

Again true enough, but there are no extant grammar school records to show
what name he used as a youth.

Respectable references I checked include:
1) Encyclopedia Britannica

Not very helpful.

2) World's Who's Who in Science

Conflicts with other sources and doesn't have an authoritative feel --
also no references.

3) Dictionary of Scientific Biography

Essentially worthless.

Another consistent data point is this:
At 08:14 AM 5/24/99 -0400, Bob Muir wrote:
>Asimov in his Biographical Encyclopedia of Science & Technology has a
>short recap of Clausius' work, but does not mention a name change.

Just my point and worry

The web page by Padgett is not sufficiently reliable IMHO, but even it says
our hero is "universally known as Clausius".

There has been much correspondence with the good brother Padgett, He has
offered several references to bolster his use of Gottlieb as a birth name,
but we have not been able to validate any of them. I have ceased this
correspondence.

The DSB contains two pointers which I did not dereference, namely:
There is no biography of Clausius other than the short
sketch in _Allgemeine deutsche Biographie_, LV, 720-729, but
a recent article by Grete Ronge, "Die Zuricher Jahre des
Physikers Rudolf Clausius," in _Gesnerus_, 12 (1955), 73 108
includes some new information about his personal life.

I have had these and other German articles on order for some time --
together with one by Gibbs who might show a reasonable reliability. And I
have ordered a microfilm of his parish records.

In the meantime I would be grateful for any definitive or helpful
comments. There is no need to reference my own web page -- which I
advertise as large -- but which has some very valuable tutorial comments
for those who wish to learn. (:-) It is my attention to detail that I am
exercising with the present questions.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen