Kudos to Thomas Walkiewicz

In the same November issue of The Physics Teacher (p 474)
I see a note by another phys-L-er, Thomas Walkiewicz. At
first I was puzzled by the right side of equation 1. If i, o and
f are absolute values of distances, as stated, then the right side
fraction (according to simple algebra) should be f/(o-f). Yet this
is wrong. Data from Figure 1 (f=23, o=55, ho=12, hi=4)
confirm the formula with the plus sign in the denominator.
Sign conventions can fool those who are not careful.
Ludwik Kowalski

Joel Rauber wrote:

One of our own Phys-Lers was published as a letter to the editor in "The
Physics Teachers", check out the just arrived November 2000 issue for some
thoughtful commentary regarding web based courses!!