Re: Space elevators

I'm afraid that I cannot resist the comment that someone's elevator at
NASA may well not quite reach the top floor.

There are many of these "blue sky" proposals that are funded every year.
The only comments that I can make are:
* maybe there is a reason that the "normal funding channels"
will pass on most of these BS (Blue Sky) proposals;
* sooner or later, someone will hit on something which bears
real fruit and this will justify all of the other BS proposals.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but I just can't "set aside 'minor
engineering details'" like the very first ones asked here in this forum:

1) Just how long a string can we have that can even support itself?

2) How well could this string stand up under the load of typical wind
speeds in our upper atmosphere?

3) and many, many more ....

Thanks to Rick Strickert for giving us/me a reminder of some of the more
"clever" proposals that go forward and are funded. Now I know why I have
such a low percentage for being funded --- I'm just not clever enough.