HTML tags

I was responding to Brian's message and forgot to delete
the unwanted part. My mailer asked how should the reply
be sent and I clicked TEXT ONLY. At the bottom of what
came from phys-L the section I forgot to delete appeared
with HTML tags.

Why did the mailer offer non text options? The message
I was responding to (including the part I forgot to delete)
looked like a normal text on my screen. Why did this
changed into a document with HTML tags? Can we use
tags in our messages? What for? Why yes or why not?
I hope I am not the only one who needs some tutoring.
Ludwik Kowalski