Re: Concerned About Grades (longish-er)

I told the student that I used a C to indicate basic competency in the
course objectives*. When the student replied that a C should represent a
level of understanding similar to the average person on the street, I
replied that I thought using C as "average" meant average relative to
others in the course. Not surprisingly, my interpretation was met with
disbelief especially since this particular student was a graduate
student** and as such had enough experience in courses to be aware of the
norm. A beginning student might be more easily convinced.

*Yes, I now know that most people think an A represents basic competency
in 100% of the course objectives, a B represents basic competency in 90%
of the course objectives, etc. No wonder no one has meet minimal
competency standards - all that is required is 60%. Oops - I didn't mean
to step on this soapbox but it was in my way...

**Although the student was a graduate student, the course was *not* a
graduate course. It was an intro-level undergraduate course.