Re: Concerned About Grades (longish-er)

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Joel Rauber wrote:

I really like what you wrote above and respect it. It gets at the heart of
what I said in one of my original posts. My University publishes a catalog
that claims C's are average, B is Superior and A is Exceptional. (and I
don't want to quibble about a whether this means an exact statiticians
definition of average, let's stipulate that it means what the layment on
the
street my mean with ordinary use of language). This is patently not the
case when one looks at the typical grades. I'll use some strong language
here (and I admit I'm not guilt free), but this appears to me to be fraud.
Either by the University or by the faculty, or (more likely in my opinion)
as the result of all sorts of complicated pernicious systemic effects and
historical inertia. And nobody, except the above comment has addressed the
ethical issues in my statements above. Which are complicated and difficult
(Should I have used "that").

I once had one student argue that a C meant a level of understanding
similar to the *average* person on the street (i.e., someone who hadn't
taken the course).

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |