Re: Grades: General thoughts (an error of fact)

I agree with the thrust of what Ray said, but!

a. As soon as a student gets accepting to a University no one ever
inquires about his/her elementary, middle school, and/or high school
grades again. 12 years of stress, being grounded for bringing home a
"C". Beatings, etc. All now useless and senseless.
b. As soon as a student gets accepted either into Grad School or
employed no one ever inquires about his/her college grades
again. 4 to 8
years of stress, near suicide, etc. All now useless and senseless.

This is not the case. When I applied for teaching positions after
obtaining
my Ph.D. people did care about my graduate transcript *and* several of the
schools specifically asked for my college transcripts as part of the
process. I do not know to what extent they bothered looking at specific
grades (I have no reason to think they didn't) Vs. mostly wanting proof
that
I actually went to the schools and graduated.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu