Re: A language issue (comment)

At 20:48 02/10/00 , Leigh Palmer wrote:
I want to thank the many responders who gave helpful counsel
on this topic. Who would have guessed phys-l to be populated
by so many articulate, well informed grammarians? I am most
fovorably impressed. I am especially pleased by the complete
absence of derogatory "you can't stop change" messages.

...perhaps such messages are provoked by unwarranted assertions of
grammatical immutability rather than enquiries about stylistic clarity such
as we had here. I, too, found the discussion useful, having learnt about
the that/which issue only recently, from the Microsoft Word grammar checker!

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic
Duino TS Italy