Re: The Olympics

Doug - I see your point, BUT if that's so, then "how
come" an egg drop project that is top-heavy will
rapidly tumble on its way to the floor. I have seen
many toothpick projects with the egg perched on top of
an elaborate energy-absorbing structure quickly rotate
in free fall so that the egg lands first! John Barrere
--- Doug Craigen <dcc@ESCAPE.CA> wrote:
John Barrer wrote:

Suppose a diver leaves the platform with NO
angular
momentum. If she then bends at the waist, the
Earth
can then supply the external torque to initiate
rotation. Now there is plenty of angular momentum

I don't see how the earth can apply a net torque to
a body in free
fall. Can you draw a free body diagram that shows
how this would
happen?

available to be conserved. Of course, if this is
true,
then it would be impossible to start the routine
with
a twist. A "tumble" (or some other rotation caused
by
the diver orienting a portion of her body so that
an
external torque would be supplied by the Earth)
would
have to initiate the dive or any other similar
move.
Is this so?? John Barrere Apex HS Apex, NC

Doug Craigen

http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html