Re: The Olympics

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bowman"

Regarding Rick T's comment:

Perhaps one of the confusions here (at least for me) is that looking at
Bruce's link (below) it is now clear that the claim is NOT that the
gymnast/diver imparts NO angular momentum on takeoff, only that they
often
impart no angular momentum around the vertical axis--that is, they do
impart
AM around a horizontal axis perpendicular to their direction of motion.

Total angular momentum is a (bi)vector. As such all of its components
are *individually conserved* in the absence of corresponding components
of the externally applied net torque.

And this still confuses me, but at least I can see that there is some
angular momentum and some rotational KE to work with. How the body
twisting can make it _ appear_ that there is twisting/tumbling around a
different axis without violating the conservation of the initial AM still
eludes me.

Rick ;-(