Re: The Olympics

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
My girlfriend,
a gymnast, argues that this is not so. She claims
that it is important to leave the ground with no
rotation whatsoever and that move required to twist is
simply to draw both fists to the one shoulder and turn
the head toward that same shoulder, causing a rotation
in that direction.

I wish I had taped last nights 3m diving. I watched for initial rotation (
and found none) and saw several rotations (performed by arm motions alone,
but the motions were short lived and limited by the shoulders or head). I
am at a loss and want to try to be able to tape some future diving.

In essence, my observations match the "girl friend"'s assertions.
Hmmmmmmm

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School