Re: The Olympics

Of course angular momentum is conserved, but this is easily done by twisting part of the body while another part is extended, and then by extending something on the twisted part, retracting the original extension, and twisting the other half. This is essentially what a cat does. If you tape and view the tape frame by frame, the trick should be evident. Cats have an advantage, as they can use their tails as a convenient extensor. There is another easier way of achieving a similar effect. That is give yourself the angular momentum as you push off the springboard, but this can be made inobvious if your arms are extended, then the twist happens when you bring the arms in.

John M. Clement
St. Pius X HS, Houston, TX

Perhaps the answer to this question should be obvious to me, but after
pondering for a while have not been able to answer it.

It seems that the divers in the olympics (and the "trampoliners")
are able to
execute half-twists, beginning and ending the twist in mid-air. I do not
know how they do this without violating conservation of angular momentum.
Could someone enlighten me?

Justin Parke
Oakland Mills High School