Re: Subject: Re: Recipe For "Funny" Liquid

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Chuck Britton wrote:

> an electrically charged object near the flowing liquid. A rubber
> balloon will 'solidify' the stuff.

I cannot wait to try this! Is there a reference on the physics?

Electrorheological fluid. An e-field makes the suspended particles cling
together. There was an article on it last year when somebody discovered
that chocolate syrup could do this too. I bet the cornstarch/oil works
better though. Less leakage current.

Magnetorheological fluid does the same, but with b-fields and ferrous
particles. Try mixing powdered iron with oil and keep it near a huge
magnet. It should stay fairly hard unless you move it too far from the
magnet. I never tried that, but I did notice that something similar
occurs with a big pile of tiny screws or washers (no oil.) The screws act
like a wad of clay when near a large stack of ceramic loudspeaker magnets,
but if you move too far from the magnet, they pour out of your hands and
scatter across the floor.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com