Re: Subject: Re: Recipe For "Funny" Liquid

Scott - You're a "cruel" teacher, but I am sure one of my students
will have this happen to them! - Tim

For those of you with a passion for practical jokes make TWO batches
of cornstarch- water mixture. Make the demo batch you use properly
thick and place it in a wide shallow pan. Bring the class up to see it
and show them how sloppy and thin it is and have them feel it harden
when squeezed. Unexpectedly slap the mixture, most will recoil in
horror expecting to be splashed - they will not.

Now to a very deserving student give the second batch, which of course
has too much water - it can be worth cleaning up the mess.

Have Fun

For a variation on the theme - use mineral oil INSTEAD of water.
Make a similar consistency and watch the viscosity shoot up when you
bring an electrically charged object near the flowing liquid. A
rubber balloon will 'solidify' the stuff.

I cannot wait to try this! Is there a reference on the physics?

Scott

--

Scott Goelzer

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Loius Pastuer