Re: Collisional excitations

I am about to discuss some basic atomic physics with my intro
astronomy students. I'll have no problem explaining radiative
transitions and how they are quantized, but it occurred to me that a
student might ask if collisional excitations happen and if they are
quantized; I don't know about the physics of collisional excitation.

Radiative excitation of an electron from n = a to n = b in an atom
requires that the incoming photon have energy Eb - Ea. What are the
requirements for excitation of the electron from n = a to n = b if the
source of the energy for the excitation is collisional? Can the
particle that is colliding with the atom have any energy in excess of
Eb - Ea ? Is the collisional excitation the result of the exchange of
a photon between the colliding particle (say an electron) and the
atom? What if the collision is between 2 neutral atoms?

Thanks.

Philip Zell

Sorry, I didn't notice the last sentence of your question. I think a
quick and dirty answer is that *any* electromagnetic interaction
between two particles involves the exchange of virtual photons. This
would include collisions between two neutral atoms, since their
interaction at these energy levels would be primarily between their
outer electrons.

I suspect that, for the purposes of your intro. astronomy class, this
is an issue best not raised, unless a student asks about it. I would
think that what was in my last post would probably be about all you
need to say about the topic.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell