Re: statics lab

There exists an overhead projector demonstration apparatus which works
as a two dimensional force table. One could use this, suspended
horzontally by ring stands, together with a weight applied to the
central ring. Measuring positions and angles*, and doing the necessary
trigonometry may be difficult, and the pulley arrangement would really
work only when the horizontal forces are also balanced**. Check your
CENCO and similar catalogs for the overhead projection force table.

Leigh

*Consider casting shadows using a small light source at a large
distance.

**If they appear to be unbalanced the problem may lie in the nonideal
nature of the pulleys used - they don't pivot in this apparatus.