Re: Optimizing Windoze transfer quantum

At 19:58 9/4/00 -0700, Yifan Yu wrote:
If you are using Windows 98, here is how you change the max packet
size. (Might work for 95 too, but i'm not sure).
WARNING: this method works with the Windows Registry, if you don't know
anything about the registry, best not to mess with it for it could really
screw up your system.

run the registry editor program that comes with win98 ("regedit")
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Class/NetTrans

There should be at least 1 entry under NetTrans (usually more, depending
on how many networking protocols you have on your machine).

Find the entry that corresponds to the connection that you want to change
the packet size, and add a new string value with the name "MaxMTU" and
value set to whatever max packet size you want.

Restart your computer, and you are all set.

- Yifan (yifany@caltech.edu)

I am glad of that response. Using mtu for a keyword I found that Archie
reports some versions of MTUSpeed available on numerous servers.
I looked on the home site and found the latest version is MTUSpeedPro 4.10
It's shareware.
It does much the same as you mention - and additionally looks for a sensible
MTU multiple of 576 over the net to some frequently used location of your
choice.
Not sure yet if it will make my box fly like a greased pig
(to quote one enthusiast..)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!